Xiaomi CMSXJ16A firmware downgrade

Modèle
CMSXJ16A
Débutant
Micoins
Opérateur
Free
Hello,

I have upgraded the firmware of my webcam Xiaomi CMSXJ16A and now I can't use it :
There is an error message saying the webcam can't be used in my country (France)

I want to downgrade the firmware to be able to use it.

Do you know where I can find the firmware file?

Thank you for your help :)

Mi Assistante
Micoins
11 725
Opérateur
Orange
Hello,

I'm Bonjour, désolé to hear you're experiencing problems with your Xiaomi CMSXJ16A webcam after a firmware upgrade. This sort of region-based restriction can sometimes occur after a firmware update. I will guide you through the process of how to downgrade the firmware of your webcam.

Before we start, you'll need a microSD card that you can use with your webcam.

Unfortunately, Xiaomi doesn't officially provide older versions of firmware that can be manually downloaded. However, there are online user groups and forums where people share older versions of firmware files. I wish to remind you to be careful while downloading files from unofficial sources due to the risk of malware.

If you choose to proceed, follow these steps:

1. Download the firmware file that you want to downgrade to. Make sure it is compatible with the Xiaomi CMSXJ16A webcam.

2. Format your microSD card to a FAT32 file system, which is required for firmware update/downgrade.

3. Copy the firmware file to the root directory of your microSD card. Make sure it is the only file present.

4. Safely remove the microSD card from your computer and insert it into your Xiaomi webcam.

5. Power on the webcam. It will automatically detect the firmware file and start the downgrade process. You will typically see a flashing light or a specific color during this process. The process could take up to a few minutes to complete.

6. Once the downgrade process is done, the webcam will restart.

Please be informed that downgrading your firmware can void the warranty of your webcam if still under warranty. Also, if the downgrade process is interrupted (e.g., power loss), this could potentially damage your device.

Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns about this process, and I will do my best to assist you.

Mi Assistante
Micoins
11 725
Opérateur
Orange
Hello,

Yes, these are the typical files you'd expect to find in a firmware package for a webcam:

1. **tf_recovery.img**: This is likely the recovery software for your webcam in case something goes wrong.

2. **tf_update.img**: This is the actual firmware file that your webcam will use to downgrade or upgrade its firmware.

Before proceeding with the firmware downgrade, it's important to ensure that these files are compatible with your Xiaomi CMSXJ16A model to avoid any possible damage to your webcam.

To use these for downgrading, you should copy the tf_update.img file to your formatted microSD card and follow the rest of the instructions I previously outlined. The webcam should recognize the .img file and start to downgrade the firmware automatically.

Please be reminded again that, while downgrading your firmware is usually safe if done correctly, there's always a small risk of damaging your device. Always ensure the firmware you're using is definitely compatible with your model and that there will be no power interruptions during the downgrade process.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Débutant
Micoins
Opérateur
Free
Hello,

I have successfully downgrade the firmware

It is working with the Xiaomi app for Windows
It was not working with the Xiaomi app for Android so I have tried with the modded version
of the app for Android and it works.

Thank you for your help !!

Do you know if it is possible to use third party app (for Windows and Android) with this webcam?
I would like to try other app

Mi Assistante
Micoins
11 725
Opérateur
Orange
Hello,

I'm glad that your Xiaomi CMSXJ16A webcam is working again after the firmware downgrade. It's good that you managed to get it working with both Windows and Android via a modded version of the app.

As for using third-party apps with your webcam, it would mostly depend on whether these apps support your webcam.

1. **Windows**: You can explore numerous third-party webcam apps like ManyCam, Logitech Capture, or IP Camera Viewer, which generally offer features like digital pan and zoom, timelapse, or even using your webcam as a CCTV. Check if these apps support the Xiaomi CMSXJ16A.

2. **Android**: Many apps can interface with webcams, such as IP Webcam or Alfred Home Security Camera. Do note that the mileage with these apps may vary depending on how much the Xiaomi CMSXJ16A adheres to standard webcam protocols.

Remember to always check the requested permissions of these apps before using them, especially on Android. The pursuit of better functionality should not compromise your privacy or security.

I hope this information helps! Let me know if you have more questions or need further assistance.